PDA

View Full Version : U.S.S. Carolina

Pages : 1 [2]

Standing Wolf
July 31st, 2002, 07:46 PM
Actually, Dennis... I think we write something here every few weeks just to keep this article near the top so that it is easy for you to find when you do get back to it. :D

Zanith
August 1st, 2002, 01:26 AM
UPDATES!! WE NEED UPDATES!

Dennis
August 1st, 2002, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Zanith
UPDATES!! WE NEED UPDATES!

Well look, I'm completely wrapped up in another project that's just about done and that's a few topics away from here -- folks should check it out.

seanr
August 1st, 2002, 06:45 AM
We'd rather you finished this one first, and tehn got back to that one. ;) This one is just so damned cool that it needs to be finished sooner rather than later. ;)

neo6
August 1st, 2002, 07:00 AM
Could I inquire about your material settings? I like it alot, the specular, glossines, etc...Thanks.

Mike
August 1st, 2002, 10:10 AM
Did somebody delete my post that said..."Dennis is best forgotten! :D"?

Shame! That was a joke!

Dennis
August 1st, 2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by neo6
Could I inquire about your material settings? I like it alot, the specular, glossines, etc...Thanks.

Sure thing, neo6. Most of the settings are straightforward. There's a fractal diffusion setting of 12 percent opacity, 1x1x1 meter in size, and a texture value of about 30% on the hull.

This particular hull is a little shiny with a glossiness value of 64.

The only thing which is a little interesting, maybe, is the specularity map. Here are the color map and the specularity map for the bottom of the engineering hull:

http://www.subspacebbs.com/reference_images/car_engineering_plate.jpg

http://www.subspacebbs.com/reference_images/car_engineering_plate_spec.jpg

On the specularity map I overlaid a scratched metal texture -- it doesn't accurately represent anything, but it breaks up and scatters the specularity in a random way that doesn't look the same as a fractal. I just noodled with it a little and liked the way it looked on the hull.

General Phoenix
August 1st, 2002, 11:34 PM
Mike, are you sure you didn't post it in a different thread? We don't delete posts here as a rule, (rather, we move them to a private forum for blackmail uses later) so if something actually disappears, it gets me a bit worried... :)

Aeinc
August 1st, 2002, 11:49 PM
Dennis ... I have a few question about the dawnstar..

How come the ship dont have her running lights? she looked very dead LOL... and do u have the Dawnstar Reg number and name for texture?

Not the USS Asendent ( or whatever name it spelled ) but the USS Dawnstar. :chef:

:)

Dennis
August 2nd, 2002, 06:19 AM
I didn't know how to do lights other than as luminous surfaces at the time I built the Ascenscion mesh. Every so often I think that I'll go back and rebuild that ship with what I've learned in the last couple of years, but when I start to think about it there are so many things I want to change in order to make it worthwhile that I just go ahead and build a different ship instead.

I never did a "Dawnstar" version of the ship, though, sorry -- just came up with the name as a class name.

Aeinc
August 4th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Dennis
Possibly. I'll think about that.

Here's a rear view...I dunno, I may change the nacelle rear caps. I like the curves, but these things look distressingly phallic even by the standard of Trek warp engines ;):

http://www.3dgladiators.com/phoenix/car_assembly4.jpg

The red at the foreward end of the warp grilles is show-through from the bussard domes where the mesh is incomplete, BTW, and not part of the design.

If i may give ya an idea... if you are going to release this Mesh... Can you release this version of the mesh along with ur final one ? Or you can Release the Final one but add in the package of some of the Warp necelles design as objects if we choose to make a mesh with different designs for different time era.:chef:

it an idea Dennis... But i really like this one.. it fits her perfect.

btw didn't you made an Ambassador class refit or Nova class ?

Aeinc
August 8th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Yo!!!updates..please :rage:

Fabio
August 9th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Aeinc - I hope your post was meant in jest?

seanr
August 9th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Fabio, why? This project has gone _far_ too long without updates. The last update was posted on June 2nd.

Dennis, you still out there?

Mike
August 9th, 2002, 01:36 PM
I think Dennis has temporarily lost interest in this project. He's moved on.

Standing Wolf
August 9th, 2002, 01:39 PM
If you follow his CONSTITUTION-class thread, you will read that he is planning to return to this one very shortly.

seanr
August 9th, 2002, 01:51 PM
I know, which sucks. ;) I like this one SO much better than any Constitution anyone could do. ;)

Fabio
August 9th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by seanr
Fabio, why? This project has gone _far_ too long without updates. The last update was posted on June 2nd.

because the post looks like a "demand" to me, not a request for an update. As Dennis isn't being paid to do this - no-one is in any position to demand anything.

politely requesting is another matter ;)

Mike
August 9th, 2002, 09:29 PM
When he finishes this one you can arrange a demonstration of its firepower on the Constitution :D.

seanr
August 9th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Fabio

because the post looks like a "demand" to me, not a request for an update. As Dennis isn't being paid to do this - no-one is in any position to demand anything.

politely requesting is another matter ;) I wouldn't have called that a deman, just a good hard poke. ;) He did say please, you'll note.

Fabio
August 9th, 2002, 10:00 PM
well, seeing as he did say "please"..... ;)

Dennis
September 13th, 2002, 11:44 AM
I think I'm starting to get some of the spline cage stuff...

http://www.subspacebbs.com/renderings/testeng1.jpg

seanr
September 13th, 2002, 11:51 AM
To be completely honest, I liked the shape better the way it was before.

Dennis
September 13th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Lotta temporary stuff going on here, but still:

http://www.subspacebbs.com/renderings/venture1.jpg

Hito
September 13th, 2002, 05:31 PM
It looks a lot like the dawnstar.
Except for the deflector being an outty instead of an innie

General Phoenix
September 13th, 2002, 06:47 PM
I like the shape of the hull, but I have to say that it makes the deflector look "inappropriate" - howver, if you reduce the forward depth of the deflector, or make the hull's lines flow into it more, it should work.

Dennis
September 13th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Hmm...F'rinstance:

http://www.subspacebbs.com/renderings/venture2.jpg

Dennis
September 14th, 2002, 03:38 PM
The hull's patterned on the TNG Enterprise's, but for a much smaller ship -- about the size of the TMP Enterprise. I wanted something like this all along, but didn't know how to go about it. As a first attempt at splining a large part of a ship I think the result is only an approximation of what it should be, but I have to start somewhere...

Here's the direction the whole shebang is going:

http://www.subspacebbs.com/renderings/venture3.jpg

KBOC
September 14th, 2002, 04:47 PM
<----thinks this is like looking at the chapter of "The Making of StarTrek (insert number here)" where they talk about the design development... :D

General Phoenix
September 14th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Oh, there you go!

I assume those are torpedo launchers under the deflector?

Dennis
September 14th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Yeah, looked like a good place to tuck 'em away so they don't mess up the line of my interconnecting hull...;)

General Phoenix
September 14th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Well, a lot of people will probably think they're in a wierd spot, but I like the unconventional placement.

And this way, a stray torpedo won't be shaving the bottom few decks off your saucer, either...

Aeinc
September 16th, 2002, 12:18 PM
U know dennis you rock with these meshes u made... but i really have to say you should stick with the first design of the hull... I think she looks better that way.. IMHO.... :naughty:

are u going to be releasing it this when you are done

seanr
September 16th, 2002, 12:27 PM
This hull design is growing on me, but if you're going to stick with it, you really need to completely redo the defector to match it. The od-shaped hull totally clashes with the round deflector.

I do like the torpedo launcher placement.

Standing Wolf
September 16th, 2002, 12:40 PM
I agree with everything that he said on the changing of the deflector and why. The two shapes do not compliment one another as the shape of the hull forward would reflect the style of the deflector or vice-versa.

Proximo
September 17th, 2002, 10:44 AM
How about some small cut-in dishes on either side to fill the blank spots? See, I prefer teh round deflectors to the funny shaped ones... oh what the hey, make what you want to make. :)

Aeinc
September 19th, 2002, 08:51 AM
it been awhile with no update ?

he does it again LOL :blink: :blink:

Zanith
September 19th, 2002, 12:54 PM
If you just push the deflector into the hull more, removing the outer assembly structure I think all in all the ship would be more aesthically appealing and look more streamlined. However, seeing how small this secondary hull is having such a large piece of equipment pushed that far into the hull might be more of a problem than anything else, severely lowering the utalitarian factor of that entire area of the secondary hull.

hutt359
September 19th, 2002, 05:18 PM
I was wondering if you thought of using a pylon set up like the New Orlense ?sp class. They may help bridge the age gap in designs. The New Orlense is suposed to be pre next gen, post film series.

But it is your work and its up to you. It is a beutiful ship.

Standing Wolf
September 19th, 2002, 05:21 PM
If he did a play on the NEW ORLEANS though, he would have to redo the neck, making it shallower.

Likely better to keep working with it as it is.

GJHSdesign4
September 19th, 2002, 06:33 PM
I liked the first hull design a lot, but the second one is very nice. It reminds me of a drawing Andrew Probert did in the Art of Star Trek Book, it was an alternate Galaxy-class design.

Dennis
September 19th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by GJHSdesign4
I liked the first hull design a lot, but the second one is very nice. It reminds me of a drawing Andrew Probert did in the Art of Star Trek Book, it was an alternate Galaxy-class design.

Thanks. Yeah, I did another, slightly closer, riff off of Probert's design (actually his version of the Ambassador class; they misidentified it in "The Art Of Star Trek") as the U.S.S. Ascenscion, Dawnstar Class. It was a couple of years ago, but images of it may be floating around the net.

I haven't posted this week because I dislike posting stuff that's this rough, even as work in progress, but...here's the direction the front deflector is going in, taking y'all's comments into account:

http://www.subspacebbs.com/renderings/venture4.jpg

As I say, it lacks texturing, detail and a lot of stuff -- it might have a Voyager-style dish situated in the middle of the blue sensor glow.

Standing Wolf
September 19th, 2002, 07:02 PM
NOW the deflector is really looking good! ;)

Nova Class
September 19th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Hey, I really like that! You know, I was wondering if you had been looking at that Probert painting, I thought that there might be a little inspiration from that in your design :)

Aeinc
September 19th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Looks like this is going to replace the Dawnstar LOL... now i am starting to like this model alot... hey dennis have u thought of releasing her ?

Nimrod
September 20th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Yeah baby! This time the deflector is PERFECT. Great work there, Den!

Oh wait, I'll give you a cookie for this. :D

:oreo:

Standing Wolf
September 20th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Nay.... can't replace the dawnstar as this puppy is the size of a connie. :)

seanr
September 20th, 2002, 06:48 AM
BINGO!

Zanith
September 20th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Damn that older looking, previous deflector was cool! Too bad ya removed her.

Dennis
September 20th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Well now, the cross-section is probably final but the details of the dish and its housing may change some -- the dish may have ribs or, as I said uptopic, an inner dish like the D or "Voyager". Or maybe not. :D

Dennis
September 21st, 2002, 09:47 PM
http://www.subspacebbs.com/renderings/venture6.jpg
http://www.subspacebbs.com/renderings/venture7.jpg

Nimrod
September 22nd, 2002, 03:05 AM
Very cool! Like the deflector ribs. :)

GJHSdesign4
September 22nd, 2002, 07:55 AM
:tos: this dish looks realy good, even better than the old one and this really is beutifully done trek. It's great!

Dennis
September 23rd, 2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks.:)
http://www.subspacebbs.com/renderings/venture8.jpg

Aeinc
September 25th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Well well... isnt she a beauty... Now Dennis you know how to make a man drool LOL.... can u give us the whole ship shot to see what she really looked like?

Aeinc
October 24th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Dennis ya there * helllo * Damn he gone LOL

Standing Wolf
November 8th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Whatever became of this version of the ship as well as the original that was abandoned? I'm hoping that they were not tossed. :(

Zanith
November 10th, 2002, 09:42 PM
I like it. New, yet old . . . Perfect.

ThierryD
March 8th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Can we see the whole ship Dennis

Melvin the Dork
March 8th, 2003, 01:51 PM
WOW!!! Very cool as always.
Mel

Trek
March 10th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Beautiful!!

Tank Ripgrunt
January 28th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Looks good. Is this thing still in progress?

Howedar
February 8th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Outstanding work!

ST-One
February 9th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Wow, this is one really old WIP. :)

But still very cool!!

starforce2
September 30th, 2004, 11:01 PM
ditto

Dennis
October 1st, 2004, 06:29 AM
Working on this one taught me a lot about detailed modeling, but ultimately I couldn't make the design work -- too many disparate elements that I was trying to cram together. Various bits and pieces of this have made their way into ships I've modeled since, though.

General Phoenix
October 1st, 2004, 03:08 PM
Wow - someone's been digging up corpses, haven't they? :D

Starship
February 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
I was just surffing, when a link in another forum lead me to this old thread...
My last post in this thread has 6 years, and the last one from Dennis has five years... This is what I call bring back from the death, donīt you know? :D :D :D
Hope you donīt mind about this big necropost. I really would like to know if this wip was finished. Somebody has news about Dennis?
Hey old beam, where are you??

darkwing_duck1a
February 21st, 2009, 06:11 PM
Dennis now posts over at TrekBBS under the name "Starship Polaris". He did the CG fx for the currently being released "The Tressaurian Intersection" episode of "Starship Exeter".

evil_genius_180
February 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
I was just surffing, when a link in another forum lead me to this old thread...
My last post in this thread has 6 years, and the last one from Dennis has five years... This is what I call bring back from the death, donīt you know? :D :D :D
Hope you donīt mind about this big necropost. I really would like to know if this wip was finished. Somebody has news about Dennis?
Hey old beam, where are you??

Nostalgia or not, please don't bump threads this old.