PDA

View Full Version : ok...maybe you guys might know this...

Isoeph
May 24th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Myself and someone else from over at the B5MG have been trying to figure out if there is a way for MAX to make Point Polys...like LW does, to use in making a Starfield Object...

If anyone knows if it is even possible that would be greatly apreciated!! :D THANKS!

Ashrak
May 24th, 2001, 07:28 PM
im not sure exactly what you mean...do you want to create polygons out of "thin air"...eg...do you want to create verticies then place them where you want and then have it filled with a polygon?

Thomas P
May 25th, 2001, 07:58 AM
I believe the answer would be no. I've seen the 'point-poly' process in LW and there is not (up to 2.5) a similar function. The closest would be a particle object, like a pCloud, which can be static over time and have individual and random points. Unfortunately, you cannot control the density - that is - you cannot hollow it out.

Instead you use video post to generate a star field.

Isoeph
May 25th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Darn...I was hoping to get a better starfield...oh well thanks for the help :D

(that video post plugin just doesn't quite doit for me...the fields don't have enough depth for my liking :ugh: )

Zoxesyr
May 28th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Isoeph
Darn...I was hoping to get a better starfield

Tachy has a great tutorial on making a starfield and a nebula just using Noise modifiers in the materials editor. It produces beautifully mapped starfields, that can have quite a bit of depth to them depending on the settings.

Best of all it renders in the main cycle, not in video post, and it is pretty fast.