PDA

View Full Version : Meshsmooth....GRRRRR

EBOLII
May 27th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Okay what is the secret? WHY does it never work right for me....GRRRRR

Ashrak
May 27th, 2001, 09:22 PM
I've noticed that with meshsmooth if all the edges are visible on your mesh...meshsmooth will screw it all up...now if you sub object edge and go down to auto edge and randomly choose a number...then hit auto edge...it hides some of the edges that do not need to be visible and seems to work right......12-14 works for me most of the time..it might help...if this is something totally different than what you need then totally disregard this post....... :D

Zoxesyr
May 28th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Ebolii
Okay what is the secret? WHY does it never work right for me....GRRRRR

What results are you getting? What did you want to get? That would help in choosing which secret to let out...

I use Meshsmooth in combination with Relax to soften meshes with hard corner angles. Meshsmooth is particularly powerful when you create a boxy hard-edged model, and want to make it more rounded and softer edged.

Both of them will alter the mesh completely, by interpolating new faces from the old ones.

If you just want to chamfer (round off) the edges, then you should use one of the chamfer plugins, not Meshsmooth.

Vertigo1
May 28th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Just use the smooth modifier instead. It does the same job as meshsmooth, and doesn't add to your polygon count! :)

Howedar
July 2nd, 2001, 08:16 PM
Smooth lets you smooth out pieces, within reason. It is nowhere near as powerful as meshsmooth. FE, you can create a Voyager-esque primary hull with a 3x3x3 box with meshsmooth. You can't do that with smooth.

Jackshit
July 4th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Meshsmooth is hard to use, it you don't understand it. You should always use mesh smooth on a mesh whose stack has been collapsed into a simple editable mesh. Add the meshsmooth modifier and go back to the editable mesh on the stack. Click the End result toggle to see what the smooth mesh witll look like. When you're editing sub objects you will get a ghost image of the base ediable mesh.
In this way you can see exactly what meshsmooth is doing and thus, leads to a better understanding of how it works. It takes experimentation.

HawkMan
July 4th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Actually Meshsmooth is quite simple too use. you just gotta be able to know how to ride the "bull" so to speak :)

Differen't people also tend to use meshsmooth differently. And no SMooth is by far a replacement or even a low qualitu subsitute for Meshsmooth. smooth just defines the shading mode of faces and how they blend with neighbouring faces. It's what is used to make 50k poly spheres too look round and not segmented :) not to make a 300 poly ship like a smooth and sleek nubian royal transport :)

Experiment with Meshsmooth, or even post some examples of what you get here and what you want to get, and I might help and give some pointers.

Just remember Meshsmooth can be your best friend, and as all friendship it requires work. or it can be yoru worst enemy, and enemies and hate hardly requires any work at all. I think we all know that aorun here :rolleyes:

Now get working on that meshsmooth :) Now if I could get my MAX workign again (need to reinstall windows... :() I have some meshsmoothing to do myself.:cool: