Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

Default Hey there

Hey everyone

Not been on this forum for a while, but as i seem to be getting back in to using Lightwave. I thought I'd come back to where i used to hang out

I'm not sure if WarriorDL is still around or Fabio Passard. They where a couple of people i used to speak to on a regular basis back in the late 90's.

Here's something I've been working on recently. I've forgotten a heck of a lot of stuff, compared to when LW was all my PC ran. I'm having to relearn all my old texturing methods, they probably are old now!! it's been 9 years! :P

So I've been fleshing out this mesh with some nice textures and tweaking.

Hope to get back in to being on the board and making some new friends
James
aka Raptornet

www.startrekart.com
Raptornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Taranis
Admin

Default Re: Hey there

Welcome back....The model looks great .....

My Blog

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs

Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

Thank you, I'm hoping to get back in to the swing of things. Texturing this baby is proving fun and is getting me back in to using Layout. However I need to get to grips with modeller again. I've gone from building a half decent intrepid bridge, to now not even knowing how to build anything more complex then a sphere! uughhh *holds head*

www.startrekart.com
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:37 PM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The textures are looking good so far. That's a great mesh, like all of Flat Eric's meshes are.

Welcome back, though I certainly don't remember you. It sounds like you were last on here way before I was a member. Warrior still pops in from time to time, (after all, it's his place ) but I've not seen Fabio on here in the entire time I've been a member.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:11 AM   #5
Taranis
Admin

Warrior will be back asap..... he has real life issues keeping him very busy.

Fabio does not post much at all here or anywhere as he works in the TV or Film industry, from the last news I heard of him.

My Blog

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

I know / knew Fabio back when he first made his TOS 1701, I got a copy of the mesh and totally retextured it from nose to tail. I didn't like how everyone on scifi-art, was jumping on the DS9 textures at the time. It just didn't look right when rendered. It's not what I grew up seeing on TV. So i ended up with this ->

When I contacted Fabio and showed him what I had done, he told me I could keep the mesh with his blessing, consider it mine. So long as I sent him a copy of all the files back, including my altered textures. I still continued crediting Fabio on all my images, as it only felt right. I've always been much better at texturing then modelling making

It was a similar story for my Ent-D, which I got from a guy in Russia..i think. He had the most amazing Ent-E and really good skills at making short movies. I retextured his galaxy model and in return he said I could consider it mine, so long as he could have the files back for personal use. That's the one and only time I've asked someone not to let out my textures. At the time, I was really pleased with myself over how it had turned out.

I think this is the mesh >

My memory is very rusty after all this time. There was Warrior with his awesome TOS Conny which i later started to use, as it had better secondary hull. Fabio's mesh had what can only be described as a belly hanging from the underside :P And there was General Phoenix who invited me over to 3DGladiators just as the site was being made.

We where all jumping ship from Scifi-art.com, well it wasn't exactly jumping ship. We where all modelling Trek and i think it was getting a little too much like a Trekfest for the Starwars and Babylon 5 fans on Sci-fi-art lol

I even recall the time when the guy who played Apollo from the old BSG came on our board and was asking if any of us wanted to help him make a short BSG movie, think he was after rebooting the franchise..He wanted modellers to make some Vipers and stuff. I remember at the time, I was kicking myself sideway for being rubbish at making space ships. A few years later I did master modeller, thanks to Seanr who was THE interior's guy. That man made the most beautiful and inspiring meshes in Truespace.

Anyways, i've probably bored you guys to death with my recount down memory lane lol

Thanks for the kind words tho! It's nice to be a back
James

Now I'm feeling rather old

www.startrekart.com
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Taranis
Admin

I know your Images of the original Enterprise model..... possibly even inspired me to get into CGI in the first place (those among others).

I think you mean Richard Hatch playing Captain Apollo .

I like the Enterprise model too.... looks very good.

I only model and rarely render anything...... my last finish project is how to build the Enterprise in Lightwave.....

Your very welcome back..... I hope it a trend that more old members will return

My Blog

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

Wow, not sure what to say to that. Never considered my stuff would inspire people. I'm honoured and pleased you where able to take it and get in to 3D. For now I'm back so expect to see stuff popping up

Where did you see my stuff BTW?

www.startrekart.com
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Taranis
Admin

I cannot say where I saw the Enterprise images now..... your images above look very familiar to me, and I know I saw them when I started CGI stuff

My Blog

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

Well that image was based on a stock image of the studio model. I tried to copy it shade for shade. Very much like i did with my ent-D.

I'd fine as many stock images as i could and craft my surfaces + textures to match what i was looking at.

www.startrekart.com
Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

These are some of the interiors i've done, i'm digging out my bridge in a bit. Might offer it up in the meshes section at some point The bridge was the last mesh i made, with working center seat flip up panel display.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.startrekart.com

Last edited by Raptornet; July 4th, 2012 at 04:00 AM..