Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old June 13th, 2001, 05:41 PM   #1
Kenny_Z
Master of all things MCGI

Default 2000 or not 2000

That is the question. Whether 't is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of Windows 98, or to upgrade against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them. To upgrade: to crash;
No more; and, by an upgrade to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand blue screens
That windows is error to, tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wishd.

So what do you think? Is 2000 worth the upgrade? I'd do it in a heartbeat but my little brother plays video games and I don't want to tick him off. Also, I like video games myself and I've got a new gamepad coming.

There are two reasons I want to upgrade. One, I've got a 256meg stick of RAM that's I'm wasting because of 98's ram limitations. Two, my registry is really screwed up. I recently bought cuteFTP online and I have to re-register the thing every two days when the registry screws up. I'd rather not have to reinstall windows.
Old June 14th, 2001, 12:19 PM   #2
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

I don't know about Win2000, but I've been running ME since it came out, and I haven't had to re-install once.

Of course, I seem to be in the minority - I just know it's worked perfectly for me.
Old June 14th, 2001, 02:15 PM   #3
Sho
Master of the Map
Bloodguard

No doubt: Install Windows 2000. Quickly.

I love it. I'm writing this on a computer that runs for 6 days now without a reboot. I played games during this "session". I even modeled a mesh. I just rebooted 6 days ago because I installed Office XP.

Windows 2000 has a *much* better memory management than Windows 9x. If you quit a program it really leaves the RAM. And defragmenting works about 20 times faster with NTFS. Not to mention the better sercurity settings.

Install Windows 2000 on a NTFS partition. Make sure you downloaded all necessary hardware drivers before. Probably even download Service Pack 2 (important & worth the dl time!) before and burn it on a CD. Get DirectX 8.0a and the newest graphics driver available. Won't be slower than Windows 9x. Even faster, probably.

Windows 2000 is simply better than Windows 9x - all parts.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2001, 10:28 AM   #4
Spiller
Resident Nobody

*chants*
2000!
2000!
2000!
2000!
2000!
2000!
2001! er, oops

games - a friend can run most of his games on 2000, but those are fairly recent games. I tried running Tomb Raider II (2 versions) one of them died after level 1, the other after level 2. *sniff*

*note* ME will run all games, if not most.
*note* ME crashes a lot
*note* ME has practically no security, clicking CANCEL will get past the password entry box... and you can even put in the wrong password... tsk tsk tsk.
Old June 16th, 2001, 12:19 PM   #5
Sho
Master of the Map
Bloodguard

I'm a fan of the games played the Tomb Raiders a lot. Playing Tomb Raider II on my Windows 2000 ist no problem?
Old June 17th, 2001, 12:07 PM   #6
Spiller
Resident Nobody

Quote:
Originally posted by Sho
I'm a fan of the games played the Tomb Raiders a lot. Playing Tomb Raider II on my Windows 2000 ist no problem?
what?
Old June 17th, 2001, 03:16 PM   #7
Sho
Master of the Map
Bloodguard

Means: Tomb Raider II runs on Windows 2000 very well.
Old June 27th, 2001, 09:44 AM   #8
Dark Jedi

Default Best of both worlds

what i did was hav my comp dule boot so i can run all my apps from the 2000 partition and all my games from the ME partition. Its a pain to reboot to change but in the end i am happier.
Old June 27th, 2001, 12:31 PM   #9
Zznop

me has worked pretty well for me. (hehe) but I do have to run a memory clearing program every once in a while.
Old August 24th, 2001, 08:02 AM   #10
Q99213

Me worked fine for me for a while. I have upgraded to 2k and love it! All of my games work fine and I can even run things like Seti@home all of the time while meshing and gaming. I only wish XP didn't have that darn anti-piracy system. I would rather not by 4 copies of it.
Old August 29th, 2001, 10:28 AM   #11
Fanor
Master Pilot

nah..2000's oky. But I have the best version of windows of them all!!!

95! yea! :cyclops:

"I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no-one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One."
Marcus to Neroon, Grey 17 is Missing (Babylon 5)
Fanor is offline   Reply With Quote